- The program is open to educators at four-year and two-year institutions in the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Each campus may nominate up to three professors.
- Nominees compete with their peers in one of the following categories (based on the Carnegie classification of their institution):
- The Council for Advancement and Support of Education and the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching are the primary sponsors of the awards program.
- There are four national award winners (one in each category) and several state winners. All are invited to a national awards ceremony and a congressional reception in Washington, D.C.
- Previous winners have included a number of POD members, including national winners John Zubizarreta, Steve Volk, and Michael Wesch.