Dear POD Colleagues,
The Professional and Organizational Development Network in Higher Education (POD) Diversity Committee enthusiastically invites proposals for the 2012 Educational Development Internship Grant. The purpose of this grant is to provide a POD member institution with funding up to $5,000 in order to support an internship position related to educational development in higher education. The internship is meant to provide an individual with a broad introduction to the field of educational development (here used as an umbrella term to encompass what may also be called faculty development, TA development, instructional development, organizational development, etc.)
The goals for the Internship Program are:
1. To provide a person from an historically underrepresented racial and/or ethnic group in the U.S. with career exploration opportunities in educational development (with preference given to individuals from traditionally underrepresented institutions and/or those with particular interests in questions of diversity in educational development);
2. To support the intern’s attendance either at the beginning of the grant at the 2012 POD Conference in Seattle, Washington, on October 24-28, 2012, or at the end of the grant, at the 2013 POD Conference.
The grant award will be allocated in two ways:
1. Up to $4,000 will be awarded to the institution to fund the internship;
2. Up to $1,000 will be available to the intern for attendance at the 2012 or 2013 POD Conference.
Institutions eligible for the Internship grant must join POD as an institutional member before the 2012 conference. For POD institutional membership details, please visit http://podnetwork.org/membership.htm.
Components of the Proposals–All proposals should include the following elements:
* contact information
* description of services provided by the educational development unit (here used as an umbrella term to encompass what may also be called faculty development, TA development, instructional development, organizational development, etc.)
* institutional goals for the proposed internship
* process for recruiting the intern
* plan for establishing the internship, including institutional support (e.g., financial match, logistical support, course release, travel stipend)
* experiences and activities in which intern will be engaged (e.g., practical opportunities for career exploration; activities to create and sustain interest in the field of educational development)
* statement that shows the alignment between the work of the intern and the mission of the POD Diversity Committee
* Strategic Plan for sustaining the internship, including institutional support
* plans for assisting the intern to continue work in educational development after the internship is completed (e.g., acquiring a position in a teaching and learning center, office of diversity/multicultural affairs, or academic administration)
* timeline for internship, which includes recruitment and proposed schedule of activities
A Recommended Component:
* A brief letter of support for the grant applicant (e.g. campus administrator, program director or chair, or a member of POD etc.)
Timeline for Proposal Submission and Funding:
* deadline for submission–5:00 p.m. PST, Friday, May 25th, 2012
* notification of funding–July 2012
* internship timeframe–Academic Year 2012-2013
* attend POD Conference this year–October 24-28, 2012–or attend the 2013 POD Conference
* The Grant recipient is expected to attend the 2012 POD Conference in Seattle, Washington or attend the 2013 POD Conference.
* The Grant recipient is expected to share the outcomes of the internship experience in a final report to the Diversity Committee, along with either a stand-alone workshop/poster presentation or with the travel fellowship recipients during the POD-sponsored session at the 2013 POD Conference or in a POD publication.
Additional information on application process, including expectations of grant recipient, review criteria, and FAQs can be found on the Diversity Committee’s site through the WikiPODia site for POD:
For more information, contact Sandra Sgoutas-Emch, Coordinator–POD Diversity Committee Grants Program, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Donald Collins, Assistant Coordinator–POD Diversity Committee Internship Program, at email@example.com.
All proposals are to be submitted through email to Sandra Sgoutas-Emch, Coordinator of POD Diversity Committee Grants Program, firstname.lastname@example.org, by 5:00 p.m. PST on or before May 25th, 2012. Due to time constraints, no late proposals will be reviewed.
We look forward to receiving your proposal! And we invite your questions and requests for additional information.
With sincere regards,
Sandra Sgoutas-Emch, Ph.D.
POD Diversity Committee Grants Program Coordinator
University of San Diego
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego CA 92110