Search DU CTLAT Blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Academic Voices: May 2012 Newsletter: How do I piblish my dissertation?


Academic Voices
May 8, 2012  




<><> <><> <><> <><> <><> <><> <><>


Academic Voices









Academic Voicesaims to build the ACW community by sharing the experiences of academic writers.

Subscribe to Academic Voices

<><> <><> <><> <><>

How Do I Publish My Dissertation?


As graduation rolls around and many of you are becoming new PhDs, at ACW we are beginning to receive many questions about publishing your research. In response, we have begun posting a blog series about how to publish your dissertation. and, in June, we will offer a free teleseminar to motivate you to use the summer months to publish your dissertation.

If you are considering publishing your dissertation, here is a preview of the steps involved:

1.        Decide whether to turn your dissertation into a book or into one or more journal articles. Be strategic in thinking about which will advance your career goals, satisfy hiring and tenure committees, and fit best within your discipline.

2.       Prepare your book proposal or identify articles that you can pull from your dissertation. For a book proposal you will need to write a detailed synopsis of each chapter and identify your intended audience.

3.       Identify a publisher or journal. If you are pursuing a tenure-track position, find publishers and journals that are ranked highly in your discipline.

4.       After you send out your book proposal or journal article, wait for the results of the peer review process. If your manuscript is not accepted, use the comments to revise and resubmit.

Our upcoming teleseminar and blog provide the finer details for getting your research out to the publishers and journal editors. Contact ACW for help in preparing your publications.
 





<><> <><> <><> <><> <><> <><>


<><> <><> <><> <><> <><>

Upcoming Events and Blogs

<><> <><> <><> <><> <><>

HOW TO PUBLISH YOUR DISSERTATION


Caroline Eisner, PhD, ACW Director of Academic Writing

June 21, 2012

This telesminar will walk you through the process of getting your dissertation ready for publication--whether you decide on a book manuscript or articles for submission to journals.

learn more

HOW TO PUBLISH YOUR DISSERTATION


Amy Kiste Nyberg, PhD, ACW Academic Writer

This blog series explains how to leverage your dissertation by publishing a book or journal articles.
learn more

Moira Killoran, PhD

Moira Killoran, PhD
ACW Director of Academic Coaching


When I finished my dissertation, I planned to publish three articles. In my first article, I sought to capture the “heart” of my dissertation. I tried to capture everything significant I had ever said about my topic in one article. My work on this piece spanned at least 5 years. During this time of struggle and rewriting, and getting great encouragement from the editor of a top journal, I worked on a couple of manuscripts that I was less attached to, which eventually were published in book chapters in larger edited books. While I struggled with the heart of my dissertation manuscript, I found myself intrigued and excited by a particular theoretical question that had interested me during my dissertation fieldwork, but which I had never fully written about. Excitedly, I composed a completely fresh piece, drawing upon my dissertation research, that was published in a prominent and well-regarded journal. In hindsight I learned a great lesson. The “heart&rdquo ; of my dissertation, that I was set on publishing, was never published, as I was trying to do too much. But when I stepped back to give myself a real, true break from the material, I found new energy to write and research, and great publishing happened.  

<><> <><> <><>

Cassandra Ford, Assistant Professor


Note. If you co-author your dissertation article(s) with your dissertation chair or other committee members, there are challenges you might not anticipate.  We asked Cassandra, who is currently co-authoring a number of publications, to share what she has learned about collaborative writing.

Delegate. Understand up front who, among the collaborators, will perform and be responsible for each task. In an article I am currently working on, one of the senior co-authors made it very clear who was doing what, and she designated one person to be the final editor.

Remain flexible. If you are the lead author, sometimes you need to take a step back. A good leader knows when to let others lead. When you find yourself growing tired or burned out, it is time to consult other members of the team and/or delegate.

Assign authorship fairly. You should place the authors in the order that reflects the level of their collaboration, agreeing that those who added the most to the article, in terms of original thinking and actual work, be placed as first authors.
 





<><> <><> <><> <><> <><> <><>



Academic Coaching & Writing
1150 Island View Lane, Encinitas, CA 92024
academiccoachingandwriting.org  

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment